September is lots of things: Of course it’s time for back to school, but it’s also Healthy Aging Month, National Preparedness Month, Pedestrian Safety Month and Hunger Action Month. There are also more obscure celebrations, like National Mushroom Month, National Head Lice Prevention Month, and Shameless Promotions Month. That last one is fitting, because it’s also
LIBRARY CARD SIGN UP MONTH!
And while other causes may be looking for funding along with recognition and promotion, a library card is FREE.
With a library card, of course you’ll have access to a huge collection of books, movies, CD’s and magazines.
But you can also:
- Read full issues of the most popular magazines with Flipster
- Stream and download music with Freegal
- Stream video with InstantFlix
- Download audiobooks and ebooks for your commute.
- Research your family history with Ancestry.com from the library
- Learn languages with Rocket languages
- Learn new computer skills with LearningExpress
- Do marketing research with ReferenceUSA
- Access comics and graphic novels with ComixPlus
- Read along with great children’s books with TumbleBooks
- Borrow a Launchpad, preloaded with fun and educational apps for your child
- Get great reading recommendations from NoveList
- Reserve free weekend passes to Stone Barns (and museum passes are coming soon!)
- Get LIVE online homework help with Tutor.com
Find your home library here and visit the library to get a card. Just bring ID and proof of address.
If you live in Greenburgh, you can also apply online and we’ll mail you a card. If you work in Westchester but live somewhere else, you can still get a card-Just visit the library where your workplace is located, and bring proof of employment, like a letter from HR or a current paystub.
Thanks to Brownielocks for the great compilation of holidays!