It’s November which means,social media will soon be filled with lists of things people are thankful for. At Greenburgh Library, we’re thankful for YOU, the patron. Every taxpayer contributes to the library, but the more people who use the library, the better the library becomes. Think of it as supply and demand: if the public demands great services, the library steps right up to provide them.
As a thank you for using the library, during the month of November, Greenburgh Library cardholders can get a free replacement library card. Normally, there’s a $3.00 charge for replacing a card. If your card is lost or worn out, come to the library with ID and proof of address, and we’ll give you a new card for free. And there’s never a charge for signing up for a first library card.
Sure, if you forget your card, you can show us ID and we’ll look you up so you can borrow materials. We can sign you onto the public computer as a guest. But there are many more services available to you if you have a library card. Plus, you’ll have the added certainty of your own card number, and avoid mix-ups with patrons with similar names.
If you’ve been getting by just showing us your driver’s license at checkout, you might be missing out on lots of great benefits.
IF you have your library card number:
- You can log in to the public catalog in the library or from home and browse the collections of all 38 Westchester libraries. Use your card number to place your own holds or keep tabs on your account.
- You can stream music (up to three hours a day), and download 5 songs a week–and you get to keep them on your device!
- You can use Flipster to browse all the most popular magazines like People, Entertainment Weekly, The Atlantic, In Style, Rolling Stone, and Consumer Reports. The most current issues are online, as well as past issues. You can read them all at your leisure, and going paperless means there’s no guilt about the environment.
- You can improve your computer skills, learn about photography and graphic design, music production, and more, with free access to Lynda.com. Use your card to set up an account and you can really customize your learning.
- You can read all the newest bestsellers on your mobile device with CloudLibrary (formerly 3M Cloud Library). Many titles are available in audio format as well.
- Learn a new language or brush up on your high school French before that trip to Paris.
Since you’re already contributing to the library; get the most for your money by utilizing all the services we provide!
And if you have a card from another library in Westchester, visit your home library to get a new card. Sometimes there’s a nominal fee to replace a lost card, but it’s a bargain considering what your card can do for you!